Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 21:24:13 +0000
From:      void <float@firedrake.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Patch to fix "make buildkernel requires full obj directory" mistake

On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 01:11:15AM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:

> I've committed this change, as threatened late last week, since no one
> said not to.

Thank you.

> buildworld is still required acorss major releases, when binutils
> change, and when config's version changes.  if buildkernel fails, then
> do not complain unless you've also done a buildworld first and it
> still fails.  This is a convenience for those people that know what
> they are doing.

Is it possible/desirable to have make print a message upon failure of
the buildkernel target, suggesting that the user do a buildworld if
they haven't done so?  I know that sounds a bit more hand-holdish than
FreeBSD tends to be, but I think it would be nice.

--
 Ben

"I told Paddy no, I told Steve no, I told Paul no, and Ben fell asleep."
                   --Kate C. (no, different Ben, I would have stayed up)