Date:      Tue, 09 Jun 1998 20:43:18 -0400
From:      Matthew Hagerty <wpub1@triton.net>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Can't "make buildworld"

Greetings,

   This is the first time I have done this (cvsup) and my first day
subscribing to current, so if this has already been taken care of, please
refer me to where I can get the answers.  Thanks.

   I am running 2.2.6-RELEASE, installed from the cdrom.  I set-up cvsup
last night and let it rip.  All seemed to go well, at least it finished
with the message:

Shutting down connection to server
Finished successfully

   I connected to cvsup2.freebsd.org as my cvsup server.

   Then I went through the /etc/make.conf file and did the best I could
based on what I know.  Then I typed the following (as root):

# cd /usr/src
# make buildworld
"Makefile", line 369: Malformed conditional (${MACHINE_ARCH} == "i386")
"Makefile", line 369: Need an operator
"Makefile", line 601: Malformed conditional (${MACHINE_ARCH} == "i386")
"Makefile", line 601: Need an operator
"Makefile", line 611: if-less endif
"Makefile", line 611: Need an operator
"Makefile", line 825: if-less endif
"Makefile", line 825: Need an operator
make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
#

   That's as far as I get.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Oh, I also did cvsup and make buildworld again just before I sent this
(8:30pm EDT Jun-09-1998).

Thanks,
Matthew