Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 1996 13:25:04 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, terry@lambert.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: install on {Net,Open}BSD vs install on FreeBSD

> > One feature does not make a system into SYSV.
>
> But it also implies that the system can't be considered a 'pure BSD'
> system, since it obvious incoroporates various SYSV features, which up
> to this point have been the inclusion of 'install -d' and the above
> mount changes.

That it is an impure system is the point.  It is therefore not a
valid reference model for "this is BSD, that is not BSD".

I suspect the NetBSD inclusion of the "-d" was for reasons of
commercial product installation (such as license managers, which
work over Garrett's theoretical objections), since they have
SunOS ABI compatability in their SPARC port.  It follows that
they will want the commercial install scripts to operate, even
if they aren't strictly BSD-utility-compatible.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.