Date:      Tue, 1 Sep 1998 14:08:08 +0200
From:      Marc_van_Woerkom@notes.labcontrol.com
To:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Optimizing my i4b installation

Marc van Woerkom
01.09.98 14.08

Since a couple of days I have finally gotten ISDN and managed
to get i4b running (Teles 16.3 card) in a way that I was able
to connect to an ISP (NetCologne).

I must say that I am quite impressed with the complex i4b
package - *** thanks a lot, Hellmuth! ***

The sample configuration files helped me most, I used them
as a starting point and browsed the man pages according
to the configuration entries.

Without them, I would certainly have not succeeded.

IMHO, the package would benefit from a combined
quickstart / ISDN jargon document (or did I miss something
like this in the wealth of documentation? :-)

Now that the system runs somehow, I would like to improve
the configuration - these questions (some general, some
i4b specific) arose so far:

- What settings (/etc/hosts, /etc/resolve.conf ..) are
  recommended for a stand-alone box with no
  official/granted IP number and no domain name that
  just connects to an ISP if some outbound connection needed?

  Right now I use this construct for /etc/hosts:

      127.0.0.1 localhost myhost.my.domain
      10.0.0.1  myhost.my.domain myhost

- Occasionally I want to use the second ISDN channel to
  speed up transfers - is it possible to painlessly
  add and remove the second channel while I am doing
  some enormous data transfer (and will the current
  transfer benefit from the 2nd channel?)

- From time to time I would like to have my network connection
  not through my main ISP (using ppp) but having it through
  a friend's system (using HDLC) - maybe even simultaneously -
  anyone got a clever configuration scheme for this?

- My ISP uses a secondwise accounting and charges DM 0.02 to
  0.04 per minute (minimum of 0.1 min). It seems I have not
  configured the i4b accounting utility correctly - is it
  ok to use 1 as 'charging unit' in this case, or how would
  you setup the rates file?

Regards and many thanks,
Marc