Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 2013 21:08:19 -0400
From:      Alejandro Imass <aimass@yabarana.com>
To:        Frank Leonhardt <frank2@fjl.co.uk>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Jail with public IP alias
References:  <CAHieY7Sq5XKFuwp9PYnbuLAM6i=6KrrS8h-RM2uJUCzgAQ5rcw@mail.gmail.com> <CAHieY7QnkKv3st31tFHipd7q1jZ1YnFAXizQvgFKjH4oPc5Hsw@mail.gmail.com> <CA%2BdWbmYDfNNAv1kV=68eGQ8ySs9G07TZz_6zE0Fkit5t40484g@mail.gmail.com> <CAHieY7ROHTret4QgCfgUaO5t1HwPzoi8O%2B85y7KKjCW=haoGmg@mail.gmail.com> <CA%2BdWbmb6VqmjQAiEyLmsE_%2BP8bHNZxf_Yff7BZAzdDEM3Ka4SA@mail.gmail.com> <521DC5EC.1010701@fjl.co.uk> <CAHieY7TpuAcpEAqLc8=kUf=GOiwu2DonoRkTJ60stBUsVMQCcQ@mail.gmail.com> <CA%2BdWbmbzwDV=UeUPonAKdpM080=rAvQ6xu_BG3FbRYWM4pwjoQ@mail.gmail.com> <521E5976.8000605@fjl.co.uk>

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 4:11 PM, Frank Leonhardt <frank2@fjl.co.uk> wrote:
> On 28/08/2013 19:42, Patrick wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 7:25 AM, Alejandro Imass <aimass@yabarana.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 5:42 AM, Frank Leonhardt <frank2@fjl.co.uk>
>>> wrote:

[...]

> Sorry guys - I had not intention of upsetting the EzJail fan club!

No worries there I just think it's an awesome tool. We used plain old
jails before, and we even went through the "service jail" path once,
but EzJail is a lot more than just lightweight easy-to-use jailing.

> The fact remains that I've tried to recreate this problem on what comes to a
> similar set-up, but without EzJail, and I can't. I've only tested it on
> FreeBSD 8.2 so far, and I've only tested it from INSIDE a jail. I completely
> understood what you were saying about it doing weird stuff outside a jail,
> but my point is that this may or may not be related.

Actually you can replicate it easily. Assign a number of IPs to any
interface but that the interface has a default route. It will always
use the "primary" or default IP on the other end. You can probably see
this effect even on a private network provided all the aliases route
through the same gateway. You will not be able to see this effect
using aliases on the loopback AFAIK.

> You don't say what version you're running. I can try and recreate it on
> another version.

It doesn't matter, it's a very basic network issue with aliases in
FreeBSD, Linux and other OSs. Look here:

http://serverfault.com/questions/12285/when-ip-aliasing-how-does-the-os-determine-which-ip-address-will-be-used-as-sour

I would like to know how people deal with this on FBSD

Thanks,

--
Alejandro Imass