Date:      Tue, 19 Jan 2010 14:20:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      Charles Sprickman <spork@bway.net>
To:        =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Gerrit_K=FChn?= <gerrit@pmp.uni-hannover.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
Subject:   Re: immense delayed write to file system (ZFS and UFS2), performance issues
References:  <4B54C100.9080906@mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de> <4B54C5EE.5070305@pp.dyndns.biz> <201001191250.23625.doconnor@gsoft.com.au> <7346c5c61001181841j3653a7c3m32bc033c8c146a92@mail.gmail.com> <4B557B5A.8040902@pp.dyndns.biz> <20100119095736.GA71824@icarus.home.lan> <20100119110724.ec01a3ed.gerrit@pmp.uni-hannover.de> <20100119112449.GA73052@icarus.home.lan> <20100119134827.250abc50.gerrit@pmp.uni-hannover.de>

--0-149292284-1263928854=:53123

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010, Gerrit Kühn wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 03:24:49 -0800 Jeremy Chadwick
> <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com> wrote about Re: immense delayed write to file
> system (ZFS and UFS2), performance issues:

> JC> > That's exactly what I did. I have WD-RE2 drives here that show
> JC> > exactly this problem (RE2/GP)! The model number is WD1000FYPS-01ZKB0.
>
> JC> I should have been more specific.  WD makes RE-series drives which
> JC> don't have GP applied to them; those are what I was referring to.
>
> Well, when I bought these drives I was not aware of this issue. Buying a
> drive intended for 24/7 use in RAID configurations is basically the right
> idea, I think. From what was written about the GP feature back then I
> could not anticipate such problems.
> I would have liked to buy the 2TB drives without GP lately, but they have
> lead times into April here. So I went for the GP model, which now shows
> the same problem as the 1TB drive... :-(
>
> JC> WD1000FYPS - WD RE2-GP,   1TB, 16MB, variable rpm
> JC> WD2002FYPS - WD RE4-GP,   2TB, 64MB, variable rpm
>
> JC> So which drive models above are experiencing a continual increase in
> JC> SMART attribute 193 (Load Cycle Count)?  My guess is that some of the
> JC> WD Caviar Green models, and possibly all of the RE2-GP and RE4-GP
> JC> models are experiencing this problem.
>
> I can confirm that the two models above show this problem.
> Furthermore I can confirm that at least in my setup here this drive
> type works fine:
>
> WD5001ABYS
>
> I have some of the RE3 drives sitting around here and will probably try
> them later.

I specifically bought RE3 drives recently because of the whole fiasco
regarding "raid compatibility".  I paid about $20 each more for these in
the interest of things "just working", since I saw some debate about
whether or not the TLER setting can be flipped on the "non-RAID" drives.

FWIW, 4 1TB RE3's in a zfs raidz (an excerpt from bonnie++, block
read/write 8G on 4G RAM):

Write	Read
K/sec	K/sec
123207	142749

Both zfs and these drives kind of surprised me, that seems pretty good for
software raid with parity...

Seagate is currently on my blacklist after we had a large number of them
fail a year or two in the past year or two.  I've had good luck so far
with WD RE2 and RE3 drives.  I'll probably give seagate another shot in a
year or two.