Date:      Sat, 17 Nov 2001 17:31:59 -0500
From:      "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>
To:        "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Mysterious boot during the night

	Yup.  I call it cutting edge... it's not an Itanium or a HP Superdome
server, but it's still cutting edge consumer grade hardware.

> > What chipset does that motherboard use?
>
> VIA KT133A/KTE133 + VT82C686B AGPset

	I may be mistaken, but I believe there are known problems with that
chipset.  Might want to do a search regarding that.

> > IIRC, Chaintech was part of the PC Chips line.
>
> Both the Chaintech motherboard and the computer were made in Taiwan.

	I did a little quick research... Chaintech isn't part of the PC Chips line.
However, they're not a manufacturer known for quality hardware.

> > If that's true, that would be a poor excuse for
> > a motherboard based on my experience with PC
> > Chips products.
>
> I don't know.  I've never heard of PC Chips.

	You don't want to either, let's put it that way.

> > Check your RAM, make sure it's properly rated
> > for the speeds you're running at.
>
> It's the factory configuration, so I assume everything is matched.

	Assumptions aren't the best way to go about things.  Your best bet here is
going to get one of the memory checking software programs and basically
"bang the hell" out of the machine to force it to error.

> > If the machine is dying in the middle of a cron
> > job which does the standard system checks, you
> > may also want to do some stress testing on the
> > disk subsection.
>
> It just has an ordinary IDE disk, nothing fancy.

	What controller chipset does it use?

> > Also check dmesg for any anomalous readings
> > (cards that don't show up, hardware that's
> > detected but "unknown", etc.)
>
> It's below.  I see one mention of an "unknown card" for pci0, but
> I'm not sure
> what that means.  The two PCI cards (NIC and Adaptec 2930UW SCSI
> controller)
> seem to work, although I haven't actually connected anything to
> the 2930UW yet.

	Maybe it's just how I go about things, but I don't install hardware that
I'm not ready to use immediately.  I've seen some strange things like that.

> config> di sio1
> config> di sio0
> config> di sn0
> config> di lnc0
> config> di ie0
> config> di fe0
> config> di cs0
> config> di bt0
> config> di aic0
> config> di aha0
> config> di adv0
> config> q

	You can get rid of this stuff by modifying your kernel.conf file.

> pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x13f6, dev=0x0111) at 17.0 irq 11

	Look this up on the web and see if you can determine what it is.  This may
be a piece of unsupported hardware.  Does your machine include onboard sound
or something like that?

> ad0: 38204MB <SAMSUNG SV4002H> [77622/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA100

	Are you sure that the cable for this is 100% spec?  That's been known to
cause some strange problems.

--- Andy