Date:      Thu, 24 May 2007 23:22:21 +0200
From:      "Richard Noorlandt" <lists.freebsd@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Growing UFS beyond 2 TB

2007/5/24, Nick Gustas <freebsd-fs@tychl.net>:

> You should be able to simply finish the online expansion of the array,
> recreate your GPT partitions and run growfs. I recently did a OCE on an
> array with a single GPT partition containing ZFS on a 3ware controller
> and it worked fine. destroying the GPT partitioning doesn't hurt any
> data as long as you put it back the same way.
>
> order of operations was:
>
> OCE finished, one drive added to array.
> zpool export threeware
> gpt destroy da0
> gpt create da0
> gpt add da0
> zpool import threeware
>
> everything was fine, all the data was there, just a bigger partition.
>

> I see no reason this wouldn't work with UFS over 2TB assuming you have
> some of the growfs patches that have been posted in the last few weeks.

I have been on this list for only a few days now, so I don't know anything
about these growfs patches. But I'll guess I can find them somewhere. Unless
they're scattered all over the place ;-)

I run 6.2-RELEASE by the way. What's the easiest way to get the right growfs
version with the necessary patches?

growfs scares me more than gpt destroy :)

> hope this helps!

Meddling with a FS that has data on it is always scary, no matter what tools
you use. But your detailed description helps a lot. So once I updated growfs
I'll try this approach myself.

Best regards,

Richard