Date:      Wed, 4 Jan 1995 22:42:48 -0600 (CST)
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@alpha.dsu.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Suggestions solicited re: dynam. IP addr w/ sliplogin

I've been hacking on sliplogin to dynamically assign IP addresses;
it examines /etc/slip.hosts as before, but if it runs into a
"group:<groupname>" that matches a group the current user belongs to, it
uses the given remote-addr as a basis for assiging a dynamic SLIP address.

I had the "bright idea" that I could just use the assigned SLIP unit # as
an offset added to the base remote-addr and then report the address to the
user, but I/O to the tty appears to be impossible after the line has been
switched to the SLIP line discipline, so under this method I can't tell
the user what his/her IP address is...

I have implemented another method where a range of addresses is
iteratively assigned (base remote-addr + n, where n is from 0 to
whatever), but this method will fail should a particular SLIP line stay
active until "n" cycles completely around...

Might anyone have any thoughts regarding a tidy method of assigning
dynamic IP address in sliplogin?  I have reviewed someone else's solution
(was it Robert Shady's?), but I would like to have a solution completely
implemented within sliplogin and be certain it is immune to races.  I
could add code to sliplogin to review the current state of the SLIP
interfaces, but I had been hoping for something "easier" :-)

Thanks,
Guy

Guy Helmer, Dakota State University Computing Services - ghelmer@alpha.dsu.edu