Date:      Fri, 11 Jun 1999 00:23:39 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jb@cimlogic.com.au (John Birrell)
Cc:        thorpej@nas.nasa.gov, dyson@iquest.net, dillon@apollo.backplane.com, Thu@apollo.backplane.com, 3@FreeBSD.ORG, Jun@FreeBSD.ORG, 1999@FreeBSD.ORG, 23.-0500@apollo.backplane.com, nate@mt.sri.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Matt's Commit status (was Re: 3.2-stable, panic #12)

For what it's worth, and to throw another hat into the fray, it
seems to me that two things are driving the tension here:

1)	Matt is effectively in a position where he no longer has
	to work, and can now dedicate a significant amount of
	focussed effort over long intervals at FreeBSD code.

2)	The review process currently in force requires review by
	people who do not have such a luxury of time in which to
	review the code Matt produces; stated simply: they can't
	keep up.

Having been in a similar position, where an employer was having
me spend 8 hours a day working on filesystem code, the changes
to which were 85%-90% applicable to FreeBSD, I can sympathize
with Matts position.

As FreeBSD becomes more and more mainstream (some of you may
have heard about IBM's recent acquisition of Whistle, or their
bid for FreeBSD based machines to school districts in Hong Kong:
that's about as mainstream as FreeBSD can get), the number of
people with an equivalent of Matts available time and energy to
focus on FreeBSD coding can only increase.

I don't know "the simple answer" to the dilemma posed by FreeBSD's
increasing success; however, it is clear to me that there is a
need to look for such an answer, and to find one -- the sooner
the better.

Perhaps all of you can discuss this issue at the FreeBSD BOF at
Usenix.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---