Date:      Thu, 03 Jun 1999 11:47:45 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Daniel Malament <danielm@j51.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: drive mirroring

> This is probably the wrong place to ask this, but since there have been a
> bunch of discussions of RAID, I thought I'd give it a shot...
> No flames please, but pointers would be appreciated.
>
> We're running FreeBSD 2.2.8 on a system with two 13 gig IDE drives, and
> we'd like to have them mirror each other.  I can do 'tar -cvpf - -C / / |
> tar xpf -C /bak' every night (the second drive is mounted on /bak and has
> identical partitions), but that won't remove files that have been deleted
> from the main drive.  Am I right in assuming that there's already a simple
> solution out there in FreeBSDland?  For example, is there a software-only
> version of RAID that works on IDE drives?

I would actually recommend you get an Arco DupliDisk or similar; these
are trivial hardware-only IDE RAID-1 controllers.  Because they're
hardware-based, you don't have to futz with anything when a disk fails,
which is _the_ major failing of software RAID.

Try http://www.arcoide.com.

--
\\  The mind's the standard       \\  Mike Smith
\\  of the man.                   \\  msmith@freebsd.org