Date:      Tue, 07 Sep 1999 14:36:00 -0700
From:      Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
To:        Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tulip device driver question

On Tue, 7 Sep 1999 03:11:24 -0400 (EDT)
 Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu> wrote:

 > The SiS 900 only has one combined status/control word in its
 > descriptor structure (some of the bits mean different things depending
 > on whether the descriptors are in the RX ring or TX ring) instead of a
 > separate status and control word. The descriptors are also only 3
 > longwords in size.

Yes, I know.  I wrote a driver for this chip for NetBSD :-)

[ snip ... all the quirks ]

...I'm well aware of all of these :-)

Amusingly, these are the same kinds of quirks you have to deal with for
a unified *genuine DEC Tulip* driver.  E.g. 21143s have internal NWAY and
MII; board manufacturer gets to choose which to use.

In any case, I have a single driver for NetBSD that works with both the PNIC
and Winbond clones, and I'm working on support for the other clones.

 > And that's just the PCI devices: who knows what other oddities will
 > turn up once we have cardbus support. (And we will have cardbus support
 > some day soon, right Warner? Hello? Warner? You okay? Hm. Somebody want to
 > call an ambulance for Warner? Thank you. Breathe, Warner. _Breathe._
 > That's better.)

I think most of the Tulip-like CardBus boards use 21143s.  Thankfully.
AFAIK, none of the current sets of clones are designed for CardBus
applications.

BTW, you forgot EISA (DE-425) ... when I finish all the clone support
in my unified driver, I'm going to migrate support for the genuine DEC
chips, as well.