Date:      Tue, 22 Apr 1997 04:31:45 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        jdc@denver.net, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Yet another Adaptec 2940UW problem :(

> I recently purchased a Pentium-Pro 200 (I found back in September that
> Jordan made mention of "PPRO 200Mhz and new Intel 82440fx
> problems"...which is to a T the system I have), 64MB parity RAM, Adaptec
> 2940UW SCSI controller, 2 IBM Ultrastar 4.3GB Ultrawide SCSI drives, a Jaz
> drive, IDE CD-ROM (why for god's sake I did that instead of a SCSI CD-ROM
> I can't figure out ;( etc. for use as a server...and spent all day trying
> to get the darn thing working with 2.1.7 FreeBSD!   If only I'd read the
> archives *before* spending $5000 on a server :(
>
> The biggest problem I had seems to be a common one with the Adaptec 2940...
> reference kern/3312 and kern/1296 for adaptec 2940 "timeout while
> {devicein, deviceout, idle}".  Searching through the mailing-list
> archives, I found recommendations to 1) disable sync, 2) disable disconnect,
> 3) slow the MB/sec transfer rate, 4) disable wide negotiation, 5)turn of
> "ultra" negotiation, and of course 6)check cabling,termination.  I also
> formatted/verified the drives via the Adaptec BIOS SCSI-Select Utility.

There have been a lot of changes to the aic7xxx driver since the
2.1.7 release.  If you're not running -stable, you might exhibit
problems.  I'm not sure if aic7xxx updates are being rolled back
into the 2.1.7 line, but they are being rolled back into the 2.2.1
line and -current.

> I also tried adjusting the Jaz drive's MB/sec, and disabling ultra/wide
> transfers as appropriate for that device while leaving the other settings
> for the IBM UW drives alone....no luck.

Try removing the Jaz drive and see if you still get errors.

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org