Date:      Tue, 4 Jul 2000 11:06:40 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        FUJISHIMA Satsuki <k5@cheerful.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help with Linux interpreter

On Monday,  3 July 2000 at  9:48:38 -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> In message <86g0prqoj7.wl@cheerful.com> FUJISHIMA Satsuki writes:
>> At Sun, 02 Jul 2000 22:10:15 -0600,
>> Warner Losh <imp@village.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Everything is up to date.  The kernel, my ports tree, userland.  I
>>> still get this problem after updating to today's kernel/userland.
>>> Yes, ldconfig has been branded.  ld.so has been branded.  acroread
>>> (the binary that acroread4 runs, verified).  I've enabled linux in the
>>> boot script (and verified that it runs).
>>
>> You don't answered my question: Is it Alpha plathome you are on?
>
> Sorry about that.  I'm running on Intel.
>
>> print/acroread4 port has workaround for i386 but not for Alpha. see
>> ports/18489 for details.
>>
>> Brand new kernel/userland is not a solusion. I successfully installed
>> and ran acroread4 perfectly on 1st July i386 kernel/userland built
>> from scratch.
>
> OK.  Nothing changed in this area between July and July 2 when I
> rebuilt....
>
>>> ELF interpreter /lib/ld-linux.so.2 not found
>>> Abort
>>
>> This seems `Linux binary branded to FreeBSD.'
>
> If it is, I can't figure out which one it is :-(

FWIW, I'm getting exactly the same problem on one machine, but not on
the other.  Good machine:

FreeBSD sydney.worldwide.lemis.com 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #1: Sat Jun 10 17:46:50 CST 2000     grog@sydney.worldwide.lemis.com:/home/src/sys/compile/SYDNEY  i386

Bad machine:

FreeBSD wantadilla.lemis.com 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #3: Sat Jun 10 15:11:18 CST 2000     grog@wantadilla.lemis.com:/src/FreeBSD/WANTADILLA/src/sys/compile/WANTADILLA  i386

In each case, the sources were freshly cvsupped.  I don't have time to
look more deeply (since I can get things to work :-), but I was pretty
sure that it used to work on wantadilla as well, and that I haven't
changed anything in the interim.

Greg