Date:      Sun, 8 Apr 2001 15:10:28 -0400
From:      thomas r stromberg <l.ipfilter@rtci.com>
To:        Gert-Jan Vons <vons@iname.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, ipfilter@coombs.anu.edu.au
Subject:   Broken rc.network for ipfilter w/ PR (was Re: How to install ipfilter..)

>   I added the four commands above to /etc/rc.network instead of using
>   FreeBSD's ipfilter support through rc.conf mechanism (it assumes that
>   ipfilter is built into the kernel)

   There is a PR with a patch sitting on this rc.network fuckup
   (oversight) that I'd really love to see committed for 4.3-RELEASE,
   but who knows if that's possible with the given timeline.

   I completely missed a previous PR on the same issue, but this one
   has a patch that will work no matter where $ipfilter_program is set
   to (hack), rather then hardcoding an ipfstat location.

   Patch also fixes it so that ipf.rules doesn't have to exist if your
   just setting up a NAT.

   This issue has been a pain in the ass when helping people setup
   ipnat.. so much so I actually recommend people to patch this on the
   bsdwiki entry:

   http://profile.sh/bsdwiki/index.php?Sharing%20your%20internet%20connection%20via%20ipnat

--
: Thomas Stromberg                      work> tstromberg@rtci.com  :
: Research Triangle Commerce (ICC.net)  home> thomas@stromberg.org :

'Every word is like an unnecessary stain on silence and nothingness'
    -- Beckett