Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 1998 09:39:15 +1030
From:      Matthew Thyer <Matthew.Thyer@dsto.defence.gov.au>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   VFAT/FAT32

On a newly "made world" machine at CTM src-cur.3261 I was able to
mount_msdos my C: drive which is a Win95 B release installation
on a newly formatted C: partition without FAT32 (without support
for large drives as Micky soft calls it).

It looked good through Xfm with long filenames in mixed case and
filenames with spaces in them.

So then I though I'd load StarOffice and try to read a Word 6
document.

However when I clicked on the /dos directory (my C: drive mount
point) using the "File Open" dialog box, the machine locked solid.

I did not see the contents of the mount point appear in the dialog
box at all and I had to press the reset switch as Ctrl-Alt-Del did
nothing (Virtual console switching also had no effect).

Mike Smith wrote:

> > Case in point: I'm still waiting for *anyone* save Mike Smith (who
> > just confirmed it for me last night) to respond to my "VFAT/FAT32
> > support is in -current now, can someone test it?" and yet I've gotten
> > about 6 messages about 4 stupid lines in /etc/services.  Am I the only
> > one here who thinks that people have their priorities rather severely
> > skewed? :-)
>
> Can you say "Boggle"?
>
> --
> \\  Sometimes you're ahead,       \\  Mike Smith
> \\  sometimes you're behind.      \\  mike@smith.net.au
> \\  The race is long, and in the  \\  msmith@freebsd.org
> \\  end it's only with yourself.  \\  msmith@cdrom.com

 Matthew Thyer                                 Phone:  +61 8 8259 7249
 Corporate Information Systems                 Fax:    +61 8 8259 5537
 Defence Science and Technology Organisation, Salisbury
 PO Box 1500 Salisbury South Australia 5108