Date:      Wed, 18 Feb 1998 15:43:03 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        eivind@yes.no, plm@xs4all.nl, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ppp and RED

As a followup to my previous message on ppp and RED:

I believe, that RED will gain you nothing on a (slow, as they
usually are) ppp link.

Below I'll try to explain my perplexity (which is also due the the
fact that i have never seen evaluations of how RED performs on slow
links -- the various papers seem to concentrate on mbit links).

Consider that the typical ppp link is at one end of a path, has
very low bandwidth, and constitutes the bottleneck of the path.
Now remember that if you don't have at least 4 pkts in flight, fast
retransmit will not work and your throughput will be awful.

On the other hand, on the above setting, all packets in flight will
be queued at the ppp link, where you get most of the delay.  This
is much different from what happens on faster paths, where the
transmission time (pkt_size/bw) is comparable or even smaller than
the propagation delay, and you can hope to have some packets in
the pipes, or buffered at intermediate routers.

So, to sum up, you cannot(*) keep the queue too short (say less
than 3-4slots per flow) or you'll get timeouts; on the other hand
the total queue size is already limited (20 buffers ?) or the delay
would be exceedingly high.

(*) you could if you had a different congestion notification
mechanism, like ECN bits or a lower threshold on fast rxmt. but tcp
does not have these...

	cheers
	luigi