Date:      Sat, 2 Mar 2002 18:54:13 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1015548853.fccc42@mired.org>
To:        Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@mobil.cz>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hardware notes (mobo recommendations?)

Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@mobil.cz> types:
> why doesn't the 'supported hardware' page list mobos/chipsets?

Because the definition of "supported" is so vague.

> I know I would be pissed off pretty much if I bought a KT266A-based
> board just to find out that FreeBSD doesn't work with that.

I know how you feel. I bought a trident 4dwave soundcard because my
ISA sound card quit recording when I upgrade from 3.x to 4.0. The pcm
man page lists it as supported, but guess what? A bit more on this
later.

> Ok, end of rant. My motherboard just went south, and I'm looking for a
> good mobo for a Duron CPU. Recommendations?

I'm not enough of a PC hardware guru to know exactly which chips
support Durons, but the SiS 735 chipsets are mostly supported, and the
ECS motherboards based around them got rave reviews - and they are
much less costly that the competitors.

I got one to put in my dual PII/Xeon system when that motherboard
blew. A new motherboard would have run US$600. I got the ECS board
with the same amount of ram - only 266DDR instetad of 100MHz, and a
1gig read to drop in for US$200. Make world times are faster with
small values of j, and slower with values large enough that I found
the system unusable anyway.  With -STABLE, the onboard ethernet is
supported, the onboard audio can play but not record, and the IDE does
ATA100. I'm not sure how much of that stuff made it into 4.5-RELEASE.

Now, when I bought mine in late December, the onboard audio and
ethernet didn't work at all. The onboard IDE controller didn't do
ATA100. Is that supported? Well, I had an audio card and ethernet
card, and all my drives are SCSI anyway, so I was happy. I'm happier
now that the ethernet works. I'd like the onboard audio to record, but
from what I can gather from the docs, that's going to suck even if it
does work, because the audio record in the chipset is trash. So later
tonight I'm going to try and make fix the t4dwave driver to record,
thanks to cg pointing me to the documentation on it.

	<mike