Date:      Tue, 25 Sep 2001 23:20:02 +0800
From:      Chris <chris@chrisland.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 127/8 continued

Lamont Granquist wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Joe Abley wrote:
> > Installing a null covering route for 127/8 with the blackhole bit
> > set seems a good way of preventing addresses with a destination
> > within 127/8 from being sent out on a non-loopback interface, without
> > resorting to nasty hacks which make address handling on the loopback
> > interface different to every other interface. It is also consistent
> > with the robustness principle.
> >
> >   route add 127.0.0.0 -netmask 255.0.0.0 -iface lo0 -blackhole
>
> It seems that 127.0.0.1 works when you do this, as do aliases that you add
> to the lo0 interface.  Works for me.

Isn't that when we configure an IP on an interface, it will
automatically create a route for the corresponding "connected" network?

e.g:
# ifconfig xl0 inet 192.168.20.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 alias

Routing tables

Internet:
Destination        Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use     Netif
Expire
192.168.20         link#1             UC          0        0      xl0 =>

So for lo0, when we configure it as 127.0.0.1/8, there should be a
connected route of 127/8 pointing to lo0.  But it is not there now.  A
bug in... ifconfig?  If that's the case, I will think adding a static
route for 127/8 in rc.network be a temp solution.

Regards,
Chris