Date:      Mon, 19 Jul 2010 14:18:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ruslan Mahmatkhanov <cvs-src@yandex.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tracking port updates

--0-672736497-1279574307=:33255

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010, Ruslan Mahmatkhanov wrote:

> 20.07.2010 00:12, Doug Barton пишет:
>> It would be theoretically possible to add support for something more
>> robust than that, but I don't anticipate having time for it any time
>> soon, I currently have a bunch of stuff that I'm trying to wrap up,
>> including some portmaster tweaks in other areas.
>
> I believe Paul means something like yum do in redhat distros. There is yum
> log in /var/log with entries like:
>
> Jun 17 12:34:32 Erased: ImageMagick
> Jun 23 23:33:28 Updated: 1:cups-libs-1.3.7-18.el5_5.4.i386
> Jun 23 23:33:42 Updated: 1:cups-1.3.7-18.el5_5.4.i386
> Jul 07 19:45:33 Installed: kernel-2.6.18-194.8.1.el5.i686
> Jul 07 19:45:38 Updated: kernel-headers-2.6.18-194.8.1.el5.i386
> Jul 07 19:45:43 Updated: kernel-doc-2.6.18-194.8.1.el5.noarch
> Jul 07 19:46:49 Installed: kernel-devel-2.6.18-194.8.1.el5.i686
>
> This feature would be useful in portmaster for later review what was done.
> And it is simple to implement as far i understand.

These things are always simple to implement if you're not the one doing
the implementation. :)

The problem with new features is that even when the concept is actually
simple, making that work with what's under the hood is not necessarily
so; especially with a code base as complex as portmaster's. Then you add
the issue of interaction of the various options (of which there are way,
way too many) and the fact that at the moment things seem relatively
stable and healthy, and that makes me sort of hesitant to touch it. Of
course, then even for simple features you always get someone who wants
to be able to configure and/or disable it, which adds a lot more
complexity, regression testing, etc.

All that said, this feature does actually seem like it may be easy to
implement, so I'll take a look at it for the next cycle. No promises
though. .... of course, if someone sent patches ....

Doug

 			-- Pablo Picasso

--0-672736497-1279574307=:33255--