Date:      Fri, 26 Jul 2002 08:33:10 -0500
From:      Darren Crotchett <backdoc@crotchett.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   portupgrade aftermath

Quick background:
I'm trying to transition from complete newbie to newbie-admin.  In other=20
words, I can handle most of the basics of getting a system up and going. =
 Now=20
I want to learn how properly admin a FreeBSD box.  I'm running 4.6-RELEAS=
E. =20
Due to the recent security issues involving php, apache and openssh, I=20
thought that I would try to upgrade all of my installed ports/packages. =20
Things went OK but, not great.  I have a couple of questions.  Here's how=
 I=20
did what I did:

cvsup -g -L 2 /path/to/ports-supfile
pkgdb -F
portversion (to have a look at what might get upgraded)
portupgrade -ra

After running portupgrade, I was greeted with the following message:

** The following packages were not installed or upgraded (*:skipped /!:fa=
iled)
=09! databases/mysql323-server (mysql-server-3.23.49) (install error)
=09! devel/ruby-fnmatch (ruby-fnmatch-1.1b_1)  (port directory error)
=09* sysutils/portupgrade (portupgrade-20020429)

The first question I have is what to do about those messages?  mysql-serv=
er=20
3.23.51is the version I have in /usr/ports.  I wonder why portupgrade had=
=20
trouble installing?  Should I try manually installing it?  What command l=
ine=20
options should I use with portupgrade for that?

I don't know how important ruby-fnmatch is.  But, I don't know of any spe=
cific=20
reason why I need it.  So, I'm not too worried about it.  But, I don't ca=
re=20
to have loose ends.  So, I do want to deal with it properly.  What should=
 I=20
do with it?

Since security was my motivation to upgrade, now I want to verify that I =
have=20
all of the security fixes available.  I'm not sure how you can tell if yo=
u=20
have all of the security patches compiled in. =20

Finally, this last part is more a comment than a question.  After upgradi=
ng,=20
phpBB and mailman quit working.  I discovered that mysql was no longer se=
t to=20
start on boot (which is why phpBB wouldn't work).  And, mailman is back t=
o=20
giving me UID/GID problems (I always have to edit my Makefile and recompi=
le=20
it).  I think I can take care of both of these problems.  But, why would=20
portupgrade leave my services unusable?  It seems like if it had problems=
, it=20
would be smart enough to back out and give you a message.

Any suggestions?

Darren