Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 1997 07:10:45 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, nate@mt.sri.com, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newest Pentium bug (fatal)

> > "Perfectly Random" doesn't exist.
>
> Prove it.  I say it does. :) :) :)

It's the simpler explanation.  Prove that it does, or provide some
empirical evidence which contradicts the hypothesis... 8-).

> > Mostly because not only time and
> > energy is quantized, but because space is quantized, as well.
>
> Actually, space is not as far as we can tell.  Space is infinite, and
> therefore cannot be quantized completely.  (Something that is infinite
> cannot be modeled except by an infinite model.)

A grid etched on a plain can have a defined grid unit size without
the plane having to be finite.  Although the best evidence we have
suggests that space is finite (and that we live in a closed universe).

> With the same token energy maybe infinite as well....

Again, the best evidence is that we live in a closed universe.

> All of the emperical evidence you've seen doesn't take into account
> things that can't be described emperically. :)

That's why it's called "empirical" evidence.  8-).

> I argue that it's impossible to build 'true' artificial intelligence.

Don't parents do this every day?  8-) 8-).

> And, there are alot of *really* smart people who agree with me.

And a lot of them who disagree with you.  Appeal to authority isn't
a valid form of proof.  8-).

> However, it depends on your definition of intelligence, mine being
> 'conscious', which is hard to quantify, especially in email.
>
> > I have a hard time accepting that without evidence.  I hypothesize
> > that the only thing that makes a human being unique is locality
> > of self.
>
> Are 'conscious' and 'locality of self' the same?

Locality of consciousness, perhaps.

I can certainly localize "self" for anyone to inside one cubic foot:
their head.  If I had a "magic" technology that could duplicate you
down to the spin on your electrons, the original and duplicate would
still differ in their locality of self.  And if the "soul theory" --
which is not the simplest explanation, given observable data -- is
correct, then I guess the duplicate would be brain-dead.  Which
means we could use the technology with impunity on politicians.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.