Date:      Tue, 4 Mar 2003 04:06:32 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Michal Mertl <mime@traveller.cz>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: potential for foot-shooting with KLD's

On 2003-03-02 17:34, Michal Mertl <mime@traveller.cz> wrote:
: Imagine you decided to go with modular kernel. You comment out 'device
: random' in your kernel-config and place 'random_load="YES"' in
: /boot/loader.conf. When you reboot and don't rebuild the kernel first, you
: have your machine unbootable - at least in case you previously had acpi in
: your kernel and acpi doesn't work without OS supplied dsdt (as in my
: case) or you need acpi as a module or any other module.
:
: The way out is to boot from install CDROM, have fixit floppy, mount the
: old root and remove the random.ko module. Which is pretty inconvenient,
: when you don't have the medias handy.
:
: The problem is that I can't ask loader not to load some module. It doesn't
: understand 'unset XX_load'. It doesn't work to say 'set XX_load="NO"'
: either. The only way I found to make it not load the modules is to 'load
: /boot/kernel/kernel;set module_path="";boot'. Unfortunately it doesn't
: help me either because I need to load special acpi_dsdt.aml which isn't
: then loaded either.