Date:      Thu, 22 Jan 1998 13:33:38 -0500
From:      Matthew Hunt <mph@pobox.com>
To:        Dan Rainey <drainey@grtk.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Thu, Jan 22, 1998 at 01:03:46PM -0500, Dan Rainey wrote:

> We have a FreeBSD system running TIS Toolkit Firewall Software. It is
> only acting as an FTP Server right now. The problem is no one can
> remember the root password. Any suggestions short of rebuilding the
> server or calling my psychic Friend?

Assuming you have physical access to the machine, and can reboot
it:

At the "Boot:" prompt, enter "-s" to boot in single user mode.

After the system boots, it will ask for the pathname of a shell,
or you can hit enter for /bin/sh.  Hit enter.

Run the following commands:

fsck -p
mount -u /
mount -a -t ufs

You can now run "passwd" to change the root password.  Then
"shutdown -r now" to reboot as usual.

Matthew

--
Matthew Hunt <mph@pobox.com> * Think locally, act globally.