Date:      Tue, 18 May 2010 13:28:46 -0500
From:      Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
To:        n dhert <ndhertbsd@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 7.2 to 8.0 upgrade issues

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 2:28 AM, n dhert <ndhertbsd@gmail.com> wrote:

> Upgrading a freebsd7.2 (i386) system to 8.0
> After
> # freebsd-update -r 8.0-RELEASE upgrade
> # freebsd-update install
> reboot
> # freebsd-update install
> I did
> # portupgrade -af --batch --yes
> after 17 hours (mostly during the night..), it finished with
> --->  ** Upgrade tasks 425: 199 done, 1 ignored, 3 skipped and 1 failed
> (no error messages here..)
> Unfortunately, I didn't log the screen output to a file ..
> - how can I find out what port failed and which where skipped and ignored?
> - is it normal this didn't recompile all 425 ports?
> - to rebuild the failed port: is # portupgrade -fr <failed-port>  OK?

Hard to say, sometimes there are obscure failures.  You can try it and see
but make sure you're following /usr/ports/UPDATING.  In those massive
upgrade situations, I've found it to be much easier to use portmaster and
the method outlined in it's man page.  No need for UPDATING then and no
funky or crazy behavior from updating.  It can be quicker doing it the way
you are, but for me that's only been the case on system that have relatively
few ports installed <150~.   I'll use the portmaster method even when just
updating ports system sometimes if a lower level lib has been updated(eg
libjpeg).

You can also modify the method and build stuff in a jail/VM and install on
main host when ready.

--
Adam Vande More