Date:      Tue, 13 Sep 2011 22:56:18 +0200
From:      Julien Laffaye <jlaffaye@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Sergio de Almeida Lenzi <lenzi.sergio@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: testing PKGNG...

On 09/13/2011 03:53, Sergio de Almeida Lenzi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I moved all my servers (about 40) to the pkgng (new generation)
> package/port
> system, and I can say that it is amazing... it is not yet finish, and
> have some
> minor "issues", but works very well, and is lightning fast..
>
> It is almost the same as "pacman"  (from Archlinux)..  you build a
> "repository"  and install packages from that repository. when you
> update the repository, the other servers can do an "upgrade"..
> you do not have to have the ports tree in each server, and
> you build the ports only on the master server....
>
> in the master server, there is a full gnome2 (with 842 dependencies)
> that install right on the shelf with only one command: pkg install
> gnome2
> now I have a full functional server runing gnome, libreoffice, inkscape
> hplip, cups printing, gdm...  in about 30 minutes from internet....
>

> Sergio...

I am glad to see that it works well for you. But I want to emphasize
that this is still experimental code!
With 40 machines, I guess you have the biggest pkgng installation out
there, so you will certainly find bugs quicker than others. We
definitely want to know about them!

Thank you for your feedback!

Julien