Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 1995 06:32:29 +0300 (MSK)
From:      =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= (aka Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage) <ache@astral.msk.su>
To:        ache@freefall.freebsd.org, davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Subject:   Re: ld.so, LD_NOSTD_PATH, and suid/sgid programs

In message <199510240316.UAA00294@corbin.Root.COM> David Greenman
    writes:

>   If you are capable of entering commands by hand then it is not an issue -
>the malicious user can set the environment variables directly and he'll see
>the command failure, so? Actually, I really don't think this is an issue in

Single command failure isn't a case. Imagine that first running program
store results somewhere for second one, maybe databases can be involved
here. Basically first program can be designed unbreakable, i.e.
user can only run it and can't stop or force to fail. With LD_*
things it gains more power to control it.

>any case, and I would rather see the hack removed than to continue in this
>direction.

My task here is notify about possible results. So, don't surprise
if anybody use this hole in future :-)

>   Now that I've had some time to think about this, I would rather that we
>just remove support for LD_NOSTD_PATH completely. Except for shared library
>debugging, I can't think of a legitimate use for it.

I agree with this. It is too suspicious.
Moreover LD_NOSTD_PATH not work properly now
(you can set it and it does nothing).
John Polstra says that he already know about it.
Yet one moreover: it not works as Sun variant too, Sun's variant
have some reasons to live as Terry points.

--
Andrey A. Chernov        : And I rest so composedly,  /Now, in my bed,
ache@astral.msk.su       : That any beholder  /Might fancy me dead -