Date:      Sat, 29 Jan 2000 16:24:18 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
Cc:        Ataualpa Albert Carmo Braga <atabraga@iqm.unicamp.br>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: JFS

In message <Pine.BSF.4.21.0001291419200.81350-100000@hub.freebsd.org>,
Kris Ken
naway writes:
> On Fri, 28 Jan 2000, Ataualpa Albert Carmo Braga wrote:
>
> > Is there something like JFS (AIX) in FreeBSD ?
>
> Please consult the mailing-list archives.

4.4BSD has something like JFS, LFS (Log Structured Filesystem).  LFS
developed from a paper by John Ousterhout, the same fellow who
developed Tcl & Tk.  All other log structured filesystems, JFS, AdvFS,
Veritas Filesystem, are based on Ousterhout's work.

Due to the lack of interest, FreeBSD's LFS has fallen into disrepair
over the years.  With the implementation of softupdates in FreeBSD I
don't think there is any need for LFS any more.

Sun/DEC Team, UNIX Group    Internet:  Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca
ITSD
Province of BC
                    "COBOL IS A WASTE OF CARDS."