Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 1999 08:45:11 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Zippy <seth@freebie.dp.ny.frb.org>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape browser

At 01:14 AM 3/19/99 -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

>I think it's kind of strange to envision a world where ISVs were
>suddenly persuaded to jump on the FreeBSD bandwagon just because Linux
>could now emulate its binaries.  In real life I'd more expect to hear
>"FreeBSD already emulates Linux binaries, so why wouldn't we just
>build for the platform with the greatest numbers and let FreeBSD run
>that?  It runs Linux stuff, right?  Why would anybody want to do the
>opposite?"

This is why Linux emulation has, if anything, hurt FreeBSD's ability
to attract native ports.

The answer is not to try to bring the mountain to Mohammad (mountains
are big and hard to move) but to bring Mohammad to the mountain
where he can preach to the masses and win some converts.

This is why I believe that FreeBSD emulation for Linux is the correct
move.

>In any case, the PR value of having working native ports is certainly
>substantial

Jordan, it's ESSENTIAL. Companies determine the amount they'll invest
in a platform by looking at NATIVE app sales for that platform. As
has been said elsewhere in this now-bifurcated thread, a sale of a
Linux binary for a FreeBSD box counts as a Linux install. Having
been heavily involved with OS/2 Warp, I can state this unequivocally:
emulating a more popular platform forecloses opportunities to get
native apps.

FreeBSD, though, has a golden opportunity that OS/2 didn't have. You
couldn't get Windows to emulate OS/2 (it simply didn't have the
architecture), but you CAN get Linux to emulate FreeBSD.

Making FreeBSD a "universal API" would also be very palatable to
companies like Sun and SCO, which are now grudgingly working on
supporting Linux as a binary format and don't really want to. They'd
jump at a chance to use an API that ISN'T part of a movement whose
stated purpose is to wipe them out.

--Brett