Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 2016 16:55:56 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        sathiyaraj v <sathiyarajmca@gmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: upgrade from 4.2 to 6.2

On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 20:59:22 +0530, sathiyaraj v wrote:
> Hi,
>   Thanks for the information. Where can I find the precompiled package for
> 6.2? I am just checking some bug fixes.

You can find them here:

http://ftp-archive.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD-Archive/old-releases/powerpc/6.2-RELEASE/

Set $PACKAGESITE accordingly for pkg_add to work as intended.
See "man pkg_add" for details.

> (Tcp sync crash fix)So from 4.2 to
> 10.2 is a long journey for me.

It is, but you might have good reasons to keep an older (or
unsupported) version running. However, using the currently
supported version is usually advised.

http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/ppc.html

https://wiki.freebsd.org/powerpc

But with a "new installation after backup" approach the
distance between two versions is "one maintenance session",
no matter what those version are. :-)

> Can you help me to upgrade 6.2 ? If that
> works for me let me think of upgrading 10.2.

Refer to my last post for a broad outline of how to do it.
Basically, it's "backup, install new, restore selected stuff").
But allow me to re-emphasize the importance of a backup. :-)

For more specific information, contact the "freebsd-ppc"
mailing list (as you might run into situations specific
to the ppc architecture).