Date:      Tue, 11 May 1999 18:51:37 +0200
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu
Cc:        dennis.glatting@software-munitions.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anybody actually using gigabit ethernet?

> You didn't read what I said. I don't have a gigabit ethernet switch.
> I only have cards. Therefore the *only* way I can test the operation
> of the driver and adapters is to connect two machines with gigabit
> cards back to back with a patch cable. This automatically implies 'using
> gb end-to-end.'
>
> As for corruption due to TCP sequence number wrapping, I don't know
> what to tell you. I never noticed such behavior in my tests, but that's
> why I'm asking for feedback from other people.

The obvious answer to the TCP sequence number problem is RFC 1323. I assume
anybody who wants to use gigabit Ethernet over significant distances *will*
use RFC 1323, if they are interested in any performance at all. Otherwise
the 64 kbyte window will kill you.

As for me, I have tested the driver with Netgear cards. Works great here,
I got 470 Mbps (effective application to application) with ttcp, running
back to back on a PII-350 and a Celeron 300A (overclocked to 337, thus PCI
bus clocked at 37.5 Mhz). The limit in my case is clearly the CPU. However
I did *not* see any better performance when I turned on jumbo frames.

Next I'll put one card in an old PPro-200 and see what I can get from that.