Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 2000 12:45:22 -0400
From:      James Housley <jim@thehousleys.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Indicating patch levels

Linux rpm have a "patch level" indicator in the filename.  I am not
pushing for the same here.  But my RTEMS ports are also hosted at
www.oarcorp.com (keepers of RTEMS).  They have asked several times if it
is possible to include a patch level in the package name.

I have come up with some code that adds the patch level ONLY upon
request.

.if defined(OARCORP)
PATCHLEVEL=     2
.if defined(PKG_NOCOMPRESS)
PKG_SUFX?=      -${PATCHLEVEL}.tar
.else
PKG_SUFX?=      -${PATCHLEVEL}.tgz
.endif
.endif

I add this to my Makefiles.  Currently I am working on the newest
versions of these ports.  Will this code cause it to be shot down?

Is there a need for other ports to have similar capabilities?

Jim
--
If it happens once, it's a bug.
If it happens twice, it's a feature.