Date:      Mon, 17 Feb 2003 01:03:26 -0800
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   A small question on msgrcv(3) semantics

The man page for msgrcv(3) indicates that any type of message on the
specified message queue may be received by setting the `mtype' field
of the following value/result structure to zero before issuing the
call to msgrcv(3):

         long mtype;    /* message type */
         char mtext[1]; /* body of message */

Unfortunately, the man page leaves unspecified whether or not the
`mtype' field is itself treated as a value/result parameter to the
call.

What I mean is:  After a call to msgrcv(3) in which mtype was set to
zero before the call, will mtype sill be set to zero after the call,
or will it receive the mtype value of the message that was received?

(For my purposes, the latter behavior would be most helpful.)