Date:      Tue, 7 Mar 2000 09:45:55 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        Dave Boers <djb@wit389306.student.utwente.nl>
Cc:        Arun Sharma <adsharma@sharmas.dhs.org>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: current lockups

On 2000-Mar-07 06:29:17 +1100, Dave Boers <djb@wit389306.student.utwente.nl> wrote:
>It is rumoured that Arun Sharma had the courage to say:
>> Compiling Mozilla with make -j 2 got -current to lock up, twice in
>> succession. I'm running a fairly recent snapshot (a week or two old)
>> on a Dual celeron box (BP6) with UDMA66 enabled.
>
>Finally. I've been complaining about this on several occasions. I'm also
>running UDMA66 and Dual Celeron BP6. No overclocking.

Later postings mention possible problems with UDMA66.  The other
possibility that has been discussed recently is potential priority
inversions for processes using rtptio and idprio.

Note that ntpd will use rtprio if the Posix P1003.1b extensions aren't
enabled in the kernel.  (These were enabled by default in GENERIC on
i386 in mid-January).  If you have the new ntpd (rather than xntpd)
and are running a kernel without options P1003_1B,
_KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING and _KPOSIX_VERSION=199309L, you could
potentially get a lockup due to a priority inversion.  (Though I
think the probability is very small).

Peter