Date:      Wed, 5 Jan 2000 23:01:34 -0700
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        "John W. DeBoskey" <jwd@unx.sas.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cdrecord & Pioneer DVR-S201?

On Thu, Jan 06, 2000 at 00:39:35 -0500, John W. DeBoskey wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    The subject pretty much asks the question. I'm looking for
> anyone who has used or tried to use the new Pioneer DVR-S201
> 2nd Generation 4.7GB DVD-Writer on FreeBSD/cdrecord.
>
>    I've looked at the current cdrecord support page and I don't
> see this drive listed. I've also search deja for any references
> to this drive and cdrecord and could not find any.
>
>    From perusing the cdrecord pages, it looks like it should be
> possible to simply create a very large iso9660 filesystem and then
> burn it...  Basically, a really big cdrom. I'm currently only
> interested in disk-at-once writing.

The main question is probably what interface does the drive use?  Does it
use the same sort of write/fixate process that CD-R's use?  DVD-RAM drives
use a standard read/write interface, but they're more like a standard
optical drive in interface.

My guess is that it acts kinda like a CD-R, but it's hard to say without
specs of some sort.  I'd suggest that you contact Joerg Schilling
<schilling@fokus.gmd.de> and see what he has to say about it.

He may ask for at least a loner drive and specs from Pioneer in order to
support it.

If it does use the standard read/write interface, and not a CD-R type
interface, let me know, and I can probably get you up and running.

BTW, the suggested retail price is amazingly high -- $5400.  I suppose it
could be to discourage people from copying movies, or it could just be
because it's the only DVD-R drive on the market.  (is it?)

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org