Date:      Fri, 27 Jul 2001 18:29:26 -0500
From:      "Deborah G. Lidl" <deborah.lidl@windriver.com>
To:        Valentino Vaschetto <logo@fadeto.blackened.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: key images in handbook

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 02:31:28PM -0700, Valentino Vaschetto said:
> What do you guys think that if instead of in the handbook where there is
> "Ctrl + Shift + 3" or something, so have it come up as little graphical
> representations of those keys. I did a little test of this at:
>
> http://fadeto.blackened.com/~logo/handbook/dialout.html
> ^^ check out 16.5.9
>
> So, tell me what you think.. maybe instead of having these images in the
> html version, we could have them only enabled in the ps format?

Allow me to unlurk for a few minutes and recommend against this.

Whether on a printed page or viewed on-line through a browser or PDF
viewer, one or two items in a KeyCap font are OK.  As soon as you have
multiple keys represented in a KeyCap font, it looks like someone dropped
little boxes on the page.  Your eye is drawn to the graphics, not the
text and the meaning conveyed by the text.

The same thing is true of using trademark symbols or icons for tips or
other other items.  Consider what section 1.2 (Welcome to FreeBSD) of
the Handbook would look like if it had FreeBSD(R) everywhere.

Also, you generally need fairly a fairly large KeyCap font size, say
around 14pt, or a reasonably large graphics to make it readable.  This
doesn't look so great when your other text is 12pt or smaller.

At this point, most people using FreeBSD should be familiar with what
the various keys on the keyboard look like.  So the visual cues aren't
necessary for learning those elements.

I wish I had usability study that I could point to to back up these
comments.  I don't.  And I didn't search very hard for any either :-)
That said, there is a fair amount of anecdotal evidence about how
KeyCap fonts in regular text detract from the readability.

All this said, if you do add this support, definitely use a knob, and
have it disabled by default.

Cheers,
Debbie
--
Deborah G. Lidl                              Toll free: 1.888.849.2734
deborah.lidl@windriver.com       Wind River      Phone: 1.301.765.7945