Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 1999 11:17:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andy Dills <andy@xecu.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Maxtor Diamondmax 40GB ATA HD's.

I'm trying to bring up a new server with 4 Maxtor 40GB disks, and am
having some problems. I belive they have to do with geometry, but I'm not
real sure. The motherboard is an Asus P3B-F.

When I first tried to install, the install program complained about the
geometry, so I entered the geometry information as it is stated on the
disk. On the first disk, I created a 1.5GB partition for /, 100MB for
swap, and the rest in one big partition. The other disks were all
individual large partitions. Went through the install, and I checked the
status of the newfs by checking out the VC on F2, and I would see it fail
right around 8000000 (which I presume is close to the end). The install
program would then say it couldn't mount the partition. This happened for
all of the large partitions, but / was ok and 3.3 was installed fine.

Upon bootup, I get BAD SUPER BLOCK and MAGIC NUMBER WRONG for the large
filesystems.

I'm unsure how to proceed. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Andy

Andy Dills                              301-682-9972
Network Administrator               Fax 301-695-4060
Xecunet, LLC                            www.xecu.net