Date:      Sat, 18 Oct 1997 11:57:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        ubs@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can anyone educate me on the packages directories?

<<On Sat, 18 Oct 1997 03:20:37 -0700 (PDT), asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami) said:

>  * And it's guaranteed that three years from now wcarchive will still
>  * have the PRECISE bits that were used to generate the binary in
>  * question?  See clause 3 of GPLv2.  Note that the escape clause at the

> Well, but if you are going to mirror the distfiles, whatever
> disappears on wcarchive will be gone from your site too.

But if I can mirror the distfiles, then the escape clause will help
me, so long as you make sure that there are never any packages for
which the distfiles do not exist.  It's only the case where I am
unable to mirror the distfiles that the escape clause doesn't apply.
(If I can mirror the distfiles, then I fall under paragraph (a) of
clause 3 which carries no three-year obligation.)

It would be great if you could create a separate directory with
hardlinks to just those distfiles which are distributed under the GPL,
so that I could get those without having to get all the rest.
Something like `gpl-distfiles'...

-GAWollman