Date:      Tue, 6 Dec 2005 23:40:06 GMT
From:      freebsd@spatula.net
To:        freebsd-threads@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: threads/84778: libpthread busy loop/hang with Java when handling signals and Runtime.exec

The following reply was made to PR threads/84778; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: freebsd@spatula.net
To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Cc: freebsd-java@FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: threads/84778: libpthread busy loop/hang with Java when handling
 signals and Runtime.exec
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 15:34:32 -0800 (PST)

 As I continue to muck about with this I'm finding a few new things out.

 I sent the process a ^Z, which caused the process to begin running away.
 Then I sent it a kill -stop and waited for the process to stop completely.
 Then I ran gcore, and although the first few stack frames are probably
 caused by the stop signal, the last stack frame may be telling:

 Cannot get thread info: generic error
 (gdb) bt
 #0  0x480a0090 in __error () from /usr/lib/libpthread.so.2
 #1  0x4808d074 in sigaction () from /usr/lib/libpthread.so.2
 #2  0x4808d624 in sigaction () from /usr/lib/libpthread.so.2
 #3  0x48097bd0 in pthread_mutexattr_init () from /usr/lib/libpthread.so.2
 #4  0x00000000 in ?? ()

 Looks like sending a ^Z may be causing Java to dereference a null.  I'll
 continue investigating to see what else can be discovered.

 --
 "The aptly-named morons.org is an obscenity-laced screed..."
  	-- Robert P. Lockwood, Catholic League director of research