Date:      Thu, 22 Jan 2009 09:51:09 -0800
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvsup7.us.freebsd.org disabled

Ken Smith wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-01-16 at 18:04 -0800, John Polstra wrote:
>> Folks, the cvsup7.us.freebsd.org has filled up its hard drive.  I have
>> disabled its cvsupd and I doubt that it will be coming back.  The
>> machine is a 400 MHz Pentium II that must be 10 years old, at least.  I
>> no longer live in Seattle where the machine is located, and can't
>> replace it or maintain it anymore myself.  Could the DNS record be
>> redirected to another CVSup server that can handle some more load?
>
> I temporarily shifted this to a server I've got here that had excess
> capacity though I'll find a different fix in a little bit.

Thanks, Ken.

> Just checking - what did you have the limit set to for concurrent
> connects?  Given your description of the machine I'm guessing 10-ish?

 From memory, I think the limit was closer to 20.  I just tried to login
there to double-check, but I got the "WARNING: REMOTE HOST
IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED!" message from ssh.  I haven't changed the
host key, so I decided to stop right there.  Possibly Randy knows what's
going on.

> Thanks a lot for having provided the service all these years (not to
> mention everything else you've done cvsup-wise through the years as
> well...).

You're welcome.  I rarely had to do anything to that machine.  It's one
of the most reliable pieces of equipment I've ever seen.  It's been
getting hammered by CVSup clients 24/7 for close to 10 years, and it's
still got all the original parts (even hard drives) except for the RAM,
which I changed out to ECC early on.  I don't remember it ever crashing.
  It has been up continuously without any attention from me ever since I
upgraded it to 4.11 almost 2 years ago.  (Yes, I was paying attention to
security advisories. :-)

John