Date:      Thu, 25 Sep 1997 00:35:38 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        brandon@roguetrader.com (Brandon Gillespie)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: crypt() returning an error...

> > You should wrapper this; I don't know if "crypt" is enough of a wrapper.
>
> hrm, wrapper for what purpose?  The code I have now crypt is actually
> simply a wrapper for whichever algorithm is used.. it looks at the initial
> token and calls another function specific to that algorithm, so all of the
> following are valid results:

It's valid to MD5 hash a zer length string; if you make the MD5 hash
unusable for that purpose with the change, then it's broken.  The
wrapper is the code that leaves the MD5 code otherwise usable for
zero lenth strings.

I'm not sure that I'd disallow hashing zero lenth passwords to non-NULL
password values.  It seems like a feture, to me, actually, so crypt()
might not be where you want the wrapper.  Certainly, you don't want the
wrapper at the MD5 code in either case... that's all I meant to say.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.