Date:      Fri, 20 Dec 2002 14:26:34 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Hari Bhaskaran <subscr@spider.netmails.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bootvinum and multiple pc-partitions

On Thursday, 19 December 2002 at 21:33:50 -0600, Hari Bhaskaran wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am having a problem using the bootvinum script. It seems to
> consider only the first slice (PC-partition) of the root
> spindle. I have put all vinum related files
> here http://65.189.239.65/vinum_files/
>
> I have two (1 when you consider vinum) 120G dsks that need to be
> split onto more than 12 fs's. I created two PC-partitions 60G
> each to get over the a to h partition limit.

I must confess to being a bit baffled.  You seem to be confused on a
number of points.  Certainly there's never any reason to put more than
one Vinum volume on a physical disk.

I've taken a look at http://65.189.239.65/vinum_files/bootvinum/ (what
happened to your DNS?), and find:

bootvinum

  I've never seen this before.  I don't do perl, but it doesn't seem
  like it does anything useful.

create.ThruBank

  drive ThruBank device /dev/ad1s2h

It's not clear what use this is by itself.

create.YouCrazy

  drive YouCrazy device /dev/ad0s1h
  volume fs3
    plex name fs3.p0 org concat volume fs3
      sd name fs3.p0.s0 drive YouCrazy plex fs3.p0 len 88066257s driveoffset 16777481s
  volume var
    plex name var.p0 org concat volume var
      sd name var.p0.s0 drive YouCrazy plex var.p0 len 6291456s driveoffset 265s
  volume var/tmp
    plex name var/tmp.p0 org concat volume var/tmp
      sd name var/tmp.p0.s0 drive YouCrazy plex var/tmp.p0 len 2097152s driveoffset 6291721s
  volume var/log
    plex name var/log.p0 org concat volume var/log
      sd name var/log.p0.s0 drive YouCrazy plex var/log.p0 len 2097152s driveoffset 8388873s
  volume tmp
    plex name tmp.p0 org concat volume tmp
      sd name tmp.p0.s0 drive YouCrazy plex tmp.p0 len 6291456s driveoffset 10486025s

You shouldn't be specifying explicit drive offsets.  It's also not a
good idea to specify names for pleses or subdisks.  In addition,
you've detected a bug in the Vinum parser: you can't have / characters
in object names.

create.UpWindow

  drive UpWindow device /dev/ad1s1h
    plex name fs3.p1 org concat volume fs3
      sd name fs3.p1.s0 drive UpWindow plex fs3.p1 len 88066257s driveoffset 16777481s
    plex name var.p1 org concat volume var
      sd name var.p1.s0 drive UpWindow plex var.p1 len 6291456s driveoffset 265s
    plex name var/tmp.p1 org concat volume var/tmp
      sd name var/tmp.p1.s0 drive UpWindow plex var/tmp.p1 len 2097152s driveoffset 6291721s
    plex name var/log.p1 org concat volume var/log
      sd name var/log.p1.s0 drive UpWindow plex var/log.p1 len 2097152s driveoffset 8388873s
    plex name tmp.p1 org concat volume tmp
      sd name tmp.p1.s0 drive UpWindow plex tmp.p1 len 6291456s driveoffset 10486025s

You're creating a lot of unattached plexes here.  Why?

disklabel.ad0s1
disklabel.ad0s1.b4vinum
disklabel.ad1s1
disklabel.ad1s1.b4vinum
disklabel.ad1s2
disklabel.ad1s2.b4vinum

These look like normal enough volume labels, though it's not clear why
you have ad1s2.

> I also have a different kind of problem. I was trying to find out
> how to modify bootvinum script to skip certain partitions when it
> processes /etc/fstab to create /etc/fstab.vinum I have two disks,
> and I want certain "critical" partitions mirrored on both, but I
> want each disk to have its own partitions made out of remaining
> space in each.
>
> I realise this may a little too much for the bootvinum perl script,
> but I just wanted to find out before I modify anything or try the
> manual approach.

I don't know why you're going to so much trouble when it's *much*
easier to do it manually.  I can't help you with bootvinum, beyond to
suggest not to use it.

Greg