Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 2004 02:01:26 -0800
From:      Dave Walton <dwalton@acm.org>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org, Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Subject:   Re: 600E Audio problem (Solved!)

Kevin Oberman wrote:

 > > From: Dave Walton <dwalton@acm.org>
 > >
 > >     pcm0: <CS423x-PCI> port 0x220-0x233,0x388-0x38b,0x530-0x537 irq 9
 > > drq 0,1 flags 0x10 on acpi0
 > >     device_attach: pcm0 attach returned 6
 > >
 > > The obvious question here is...  Why on earth is it saying it's on
 > > acpi0?  Anyone got suggestions to make this work?
 >
 > It looks like you are running the 600E with ACPI. I have never been
 > able to get ACPI to work with my 600e and run it with APM. I am sure
 > that there are BIOS issues, but many BIOS problems have been worked
 > around in the latest code, so it probably works better by now. I have
 > not tried ACPI on the unit for about 2 years, so it may work better,
 > now, but this makes it look like it's not there quite yet.

Actually, it's a 770Z, but they are very similar.
Anyway, yes, ACPI is on (by default).  I suppose you are saying that the
obvious next step is to try it without ACPI.  Obviously.
[mutters to self and goes to try it without ACPI...]

Whaddaya know...  Now it sees pcm0 on isa0.  Yay!  Sound works!
(Well, it works better than in 4.x anyway.  It's still a little funny.
Sounds in KDE sometimes come out right and sometimes come out as static.
  Go figure.)

So I guess this answers the APM vs. ACPI question I've been avoiding
diving into.  ACPI breaks sound, so ACPI is out.  The next problem is
that APM isn't working, even though it worked in 4.x.

My configuration:
    device.hints:
       hint.acpi.0.disabled="1"
       hint.apm.0.disabled="0"
    loader.conf:
       apm_load="YES"
    rc.conf:
       apm_enable="YES"
       apmd_enable="YES"

'apm -Z' turns off the screen and backlight, but seems to leave
everything else running normally, which is only useful for very short
times.  'apm -z' simply locks up the machine.  In 4.x, I used 'zzz' (or
'apm -z') frequently, and it would trigger the BIOS hibernation routine,
which would copy memory to drive and shut down to an almost-off mode
that would last a week or more on a full battery, and pop right back up
where it left off when the lid is opened.  Any guesses how I can get APM
to work again like it used to?

Thanks,
Dave