Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 2010 00:02:29 -0700
From:      perryh@pluto.rain.com
To:        jmc-freebsd2@milibyte.co.uk
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Free BSD 8.1

Mike Clarke <jmc-freebsd2@milibyte.co.uk> wrote:
> On Monday 27 September 2010, perryh@pluto.rain.com wrote:
> > I've recently started on a new system, and am planning to
> > install 8.1-RELEASE, including the corresponding ports tree;
> > then install what ports I can from packages and also fetch the
> > corresponding distfiles; and finally build -- from release-
> > corresponding ports -- any that aren't available as packages or
> > where I want non-default OPTION settings.  That approach should
> > avoid most nasty surprises while getting things set up and
> > working.  _After_ everything is installed and configured
> > properly will be plenty soon enough to consider whether any
> > ports need to be updated -- and the already-installed-and-
> > working package collection will provide a fallback in case
> > of trouble trying to build any updated versions.
>
> The problem is if/when you need to update a port as a result of
> a security advisory. If your ports tree is very much out of date
> then it's likely that updating that one port will require a number
> of dependencies to be updated as well, sometimes all the ports
> depending on one or more of the updated dependencies need to be
> updated as well and the resultant bag of worms can take quite a
> lot of sorting out.  The "little and often" approach of keeping
> the ports tree up to date could be less traumatic.

and, in this context, your point is?

I'm advocating starting from a stable and self-consistent baseline,
consisting of a release _and_ its corresponding port/package
collection, and then considering whether any updates are needed.
Isn't that orthogonal to the question of whether or not to follow
ports updates, once the baseline has been established?