Date:      Sun, 19 Apr 1998 14:31:46 -0500
From:      Nikolas Kauer <nkauer@students.wisc.edu>
To:        "'Daniel Haischt'" <sirabyss@gmx.net>, "'Jonathan M. Bresler'" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>, "freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Differentiating FreeBSD from Linux

Hi all,

I would like to second the call for more discussion on promoting
FreeBSD relative to Linux.  I learned UNIX from scratch on a FreeBSD
system and am thankful for this rewarding experience.  I went with
FreeBSD rather than Linux after reading several encouraging articles
in a computer magazine (c't).  Ever since I tried to learn more about
the difference between FreeBSD and Linux.  "The Complete FreeBSD"
by Greg Lehey refers to Linux in two sentences (p. 3 binary compatibility,
p. 68 FIPS, 1st ed.).  A small number of questions in the mailing lists
gave hardly more information, except what everybody knows anyway
(like Berkley BSD heritage, core team structure, reportedly very stable, but
much more commercial software for Linux, almost binary compatible).  Many
people I talked to, being more familiar with commercial UNIXes like OSF and
HP-UX, didn't see a difference at all.  Being a scientist, I always looked for
something like a facts/specs sheet comparing Linux and FreeBSD.

In my impression--and you are welcome to correct me--so far, FreeBSD is mostly
perceived as "the alternative" free UNIX OS for PCs (no specific features
attached).
Last but not least, this is also the impression the "Walnut Creek CDROM Fall
1997-98
Catalog" gives.  I think it would help the FreeBSD project to differentiate
more from Linux.  FreeBSD has a strong, self-confident community, with no
reason
to be afraid of an open comparison with Linux.  I also agree with Jonathan:
propaganda-style mud-slinging doesn't help both, FreeBSD and Linux, in gaining
ground relative to the Wintel behemoth.

PS I'd get a couple of stickers, great idea.