Date:      Tue, 28 Apr 1998 09:05:47 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Mariusz Potocki <potok@friko.onet.pl>
To:        "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: amd automounter question

On 27-Apr-98 Paul T. Root wrote:
> In a previous message, Mariusz Potocki said:
> [Charset iso-8859-2 unsupported, filtering to ASCII...]
>> I recently configured amd to automount my cdrom drive.
>> Work ok but at startup it causes modem in other machine that works as
>> my
>> gateway to Internet to dial out.
>> If I kill ppp process on gateway, amd wait about 40 sec before
>> activating.
>> Is it some DNS lookup? And how to avoid it?
>> I also installed amd on other, standalone machine with it's own modem
>> and
>> have no similar troubles.
>
> It sounds like a dns query. When I set up amd to automount the cdrom, I
> used
> localhost as a mount point.

---------My /etc/amd.map ------------------------------------------
/defaults       type:=host;fs:=${autodir}/${rhost};rhost:=${key}
*               opts:=rw,grpid,resvport,nfsv2

localhost       type:=auto;fs:=${map};pref:=${key}/

localhost/cdrom type:=program;fs:=/mnt/cdrom;\
                mount:="/sbin/mount mount /mnt/cdrom";\
                unmount:="/sbin/umount umount /mnt/cdrom"
> Other ways to avoid it would be to make sure that the host is in the
> /etc/hosts
> file correctly, and the that you look in hosts before dns (host.conf)

----------My /etc/host.conf--------------------------------------
# $Id: host.conf,v 1.2 1993/11/07 01:02:57 wollman Exp $
# Default is to use the nameserver first
hosts
bind
# If that doesn't work, then try the /etc/hosts file
#hosts
# If you have YP/NIS configured, uncomment the next line
# nis
Of course localhost is in /etc/hosts.
As I wrote before, similar configuration is on the other machine and
there it works.
Which conf/rc files are also affected by amd?

>> BTW.
>> Is it possible to umount cdrom on pressing eject button on drive?
>
> Don't know. If you can tie amq to the button push, then maybe.
>

> --
> "One must separate from anything that forces one to repeat No again
>  and again."    --Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900)
Mariusz

        "verba volant,
                scripta manent"