Date:      Fri, 27 Jan 1995 20:27:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mark Hittinger <bugs@warlock.win.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: innd on freebsd

At win.net we are a subscription uucp service (among other things).  We
have around 3000 uucp feeds of mail and some subset of newsgroups hanging
off of a P90/FreeBSD box.  I used a single feed out of INN that is taken
to a special exploder I developed.  This exploder creates the individual
batches which are then delivered into the uucp accounts with that Frenchy
sendbatches package.  This single feed out of INN is necessary because of
some problems with managing the large number of file descriptors that would
have been required.  INN has at least one and probably two file descriptor
leak bugs.  I have a patch for one of them that does make a big difference
in the robustness of INN with a lot of feeds.

I had originally tried to use Solaris X86 to do that and had some level
of success.  INN under Solaris was able to use MMAP and I miss that with
the FreeBSD.  Unfortunately the Solaris TCP/IP implementation had some
flaws that caused hangs and core dumps ect.  It was even more frustrating
for me because I couldn't really lift up the hood and find out what the
problem was.

We experimented with Linux and FreeBSD, finally settling on FreeBSD.  I'm
now very happy (with sources !).  FreeBSD handles the heavy load quite
well and its nothing short of amazing.  Salutations to the FreeBSD team.

Even without MMAP the INN resource utilization does not appear hampered
and the batching of the individual feeds goes faster than the Solaris
box.

I have only one more SYSV era machine to convert to the new era.

Good Luck,
Mark Hittinger
bugs@win.net