Date:      Sun, 27 Jun 1999 22:11:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "John T. Farmer" <jfarmer@goldsword.com>
To:        crb@ChrisBowman.com, gummibear@we.mediaone.net
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, jfarmer@goldsword.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Are SIIG SCSI Cards Supported?

Sun, 27 Jun 1999 16:00:42 Christopher R. Bowman said:
> At 10:53 AM 6/27/99 -0700, gummibear@we.mediaone.net wrote:
> >Hello all!
> >I'm looking at getting a low-cost entry level SCSI adapter.  I came across
> >SIIG (www.siig.com) products while looking through newspaper ads.  SIIG
> >seems to make various I/O adapters ranging from SCSI cards to ATA/66 cards
> >and more. The product that I was interested in is the: AP-40 SCSI Pro PCI -
> >Ultra Wide SCSI Bus Master Adapter. I've seen this card as low as $150
> >which seems to be a good deal.
> >
> >According to their website their SCSI controllers use two different
> >chipsets, the ADVANSYS and INITIO.  I believe that I've read that the
> >Admansys chipset is supported, but I'm not sure about the Initio. Do you
> >know if that chipset is supported?
>
> The Tekram 390 U2W is a Symbios 53c895 based Ultra2-Wide controller that I have
> seen as low as $160.  I have the 390F which is a Symbios 53c876 based
> Ultra-Wide and should be cheaper, and I have been very happy with it under the
> many operating systems I have tried.  I also picked up a Diamond Fireport 40
> Dual which is a dual channel Ultra-Wide based on the Symbios 53c876, it's bios
> isn't as nice as the Tekram's but it has also been a very nice card.  The
> Adaptec cards are very well supported since the two guys that do most of the
> scsi work spend the time to make sure the Adpatec cards work right.  The
> Symbios cards on the other hand have complete and easily attained documentation
> making it easy for others to dig in and fix things.  Both of these drivers have
> been very stable for a long time.  If I were you I would either get an Adaptec
> card or a Symbios based card which are a tiny bit cheaper.
> --------

Look at the Diamond Fireport 40.  If you look around (www.pricewatch.com
for starters), you can find the "white box" (card, no cables) for around
$85 to $90 US.  I have one in a web server with seagate wide drives.
Under FreeBSD, it's fast & works.  It's also cheap.  What's not to like?

If you want the Adaptec, the 2940uw2 can be found for around $160 to $180.
The Tekram can be found in the $70 to $90 range.

John