Date:      Fri, 7 Jan 2000 12:44:30 -0800
From:      "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com>
To:        "The Hermit Hacker" <scrappy@hub.org>, "matt" <matt@ARPA.MAIL.NET>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Named: Too many open files?

> Okay, now how do I raise it?  According to the bind-users mailing list,
> specifically:
>
> 	http://www.isc.org/ml-archives/bind-users/1999/12/msg00825.html
>
> they seem to imply that this is an OS set limit?
>
> Thanks...

	1) With bind-8, you can set the address the name server responds on. I
don't think you need it to respond on every address the system allows.

	2) You can do a 'ulimit -n 16384' before you run named.

	3) You still might be limited to the FD_SETSIZE, in which case you need to
recomile named with '-DFD_SETSIZE=16384'. Better would be to modify named
not to use anything related to FD_SETSIZE (assuming it does).

	DS