Date:      Sun, 12 Apr 1998 16:38:33 +0000
From:      Niall Smart <rotel@indigo.ie>
To:        Ed <ebs@wwa.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installation 2.2.5

On Apr 12, 12:32am, Ed wrote:
} Subject: installation 2.2.5

> Xfree86 FAQ mentioned that I should mail questions to this email address,
> I hope it has been directed to the right place.

Yep.

> I am attempting to install FreeBSD 2.2.5 on a clean ide hard drive, and
> have noticed that I cannot get any X server installed!  During the
> installation, either full install or X-User distribution, the directory
> /usr/X11R6 does not get created at all, which is concerning.  I have
> repartitioned and reloaded ALL distributions, and X refuses to load.

I've never used the FreeBSD install program to install X so I can't
comment on this, I usually install it manually.  As you are having
problems this is the approach I would recommend, it is not tough,
basically you just have to extract some tar files, read the RELNOTES
and README files in XF86331.

> I have tried to manually install XF86332 (from the CD installation disk),
> and the postinst.sh script fails to run completely, failing at ldconfig
> line.

What is the error message?

> I have also tried to copy all the *tgz's locally, and run
> gzip -dc * | tar -xvf -
> and this unpacks all the files.  When running XF86Setup, it will complete
> the configuration (of an S3 86C775 card), but it fails to run xinit and
> create a link to the server, x --> XF86_S3

This is a known problem with the XF86Setup program, a workaround
is documented in the RELNOTES.TXT for 2.2.5.

> I have tried to upgrade the XF86332 server, but this did not help the
> above situation.

I'd go back to the 331 server.

> Is it possible that I have a bad install CD since it is refusing to load
> the X1R6 at all?

Unlikely, but possible.

--
Niall Smart.  Microsoft Suck.  See www.freebsd.org for details.
echo "#define if(x) if(!(x))" >> /usr/include/stdio.h